Wisdom teeth or third molars are found at the back of the mouth. It usually appears between late teens and early twenties (i.e. 17 and 21 years of age). Even though most of the people seem to have four wisdom teeth, some may have fewer or none. It is given the name wisdom teeth because it is believed to appear in human dentition when at a mature age. Healthy wisdom teeth will help us to chew our food properly.
The main reason for our wisdom teeth existence was so that our ancestors were able to eat raw meat, leaves, nuts, and roots & herbs. It is actually no longer a necessity as we humans have evolved since then, both physically and on a diet basis. Hence it is no longer a piece of necessary equipment for our survival.
TIPS ON WISDOM TEETH PAIN RELIEF
Here are a few ways you can soothe the wisdom teeth pain while at home on your own:
- Apply clove oil around the wisdom tooth area to reduce pain. You can even put cloves directly in your mouth where it hurts and keep it there for some time, but don’t chew it.
- You can take a glass of salt water and rinse it thoroughly. Rinsing with salt water kills the bacteria treating infection.
- If almonds are available, you can crust it and mix it with salt and clover in a glass of warm water.
RISKS OF WISDOM TEETH
If the jaw lines are too small and don’t have enough space, wisdom teeth leads to various problems. It could be impacted which means it is trapped under your gums or it could come through in a wrong position. There are many things to look out for as the wisdom teeth are growing:
- If the wisdom teeth come out in the wrong position, it will allow bacteria to grow causing cavity. This is possible as it could allow the tiny chewed food particles to be trapped in-between your teeth.
- When the bacteria is allowed to grow in there, it will lead to infection causing swelling of gums, immense pain, and stiffness in the jaw.
- Growth of wisdom teeth in the wrong position could harm and damage the neighbouring teeth.
- If impacted, it can even be detrimental for the bone that supports the neighbouring teeth. An impacted wisdom tooth can form a cyst near the impacted tooth.
Even if you are thinking about putting on braces, your dentist could suggest you remove the wisdom teeth. But he/she will definitely examine before making the decision, you can then sit down and discuss the best alternative of treatment.
KEEPING YOUR PRECIOUS WISDOM TEETH
In case you wish to keep your wisdom teeth, you should still make sure it is frequently checked. It is always possible that until it’s full grown it can create problems. Just make sure you are brushing and cleaning your teeth on a regular basis and also visiting your dentist for proper care of your dental health.
WISDOM TEETH REMOVAL
If you are seeking for its removal, it is always recommended for you not to eat or even drink at least 5 to 6 hours before the removal treatment. You should also make sure you are with a responsible grown-up companion when visiting the dentist for the removal to make sure you reach your home safely.
Wisdom teeth removal is an oral surgery that will take around 50 minutes or less. Hence, you will be able to head back to your home the same day as your surgery. Your dentist will inject you with an anesthetic before the surgery so you don’t feel the pain while operating. Simply sit back and relax while your dentist is hard at work. The surgeon could also opt to drug you to make you drowsy and go to sleep at the time of the surgery. So you will most probably be asleep for at least an hour or more after completing the surgery.
Sometimes the surgeon might have to necessarily cut off your gums to get your teeth out.
Once the extraction of your teeth is successful, you will now face the most difficult part of the surgery – the recovery phase. You will not feel it at the beginning but once your anesthetics start to wear off, you’ll surely know why. It is best you avoid smoking and drinking alcohol or caffeine, hard foods until you have fully healed.
You might experience soreness and pain for about three to four days. You will receive advice on how to handle the pain. Lastly, you mustn’t forget to pay close attention to your dental health for at least a month after the surgery. The wound left behind after surgery will take at least a month or so.
FINDING YOUR DENTIST
You must always make sure that you are getting the finest dental care service for your well-being. We at Aashas, practice good dental health which is important to maintain a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums. It will also help your appearance and quality of life. Aashas Health Care Pvt. Ltd. (AHC) finest dental clinic for wisdom teeth removal in Lalitpur – provides ethical treatment and advanced dental services.